Amy Sweezey is an award-winning broadcast meteorologist, children's book author, and mom of three. For 25 years, she delivered daily forecasts on television, and spoke to countless groups of children about weather. Amy was part of the WESH-2 News team in Central Florida from 2002 to 2020.
Before Orlando, Amy worked in West Michigan, forecasting blizzards and severe weather at WWMT-TV (CBS) in Kalamazoo. She also worked at WSJV-TV in South Bend, Indiana, and in both radio and television in Chicago, Illinois.
Amy graduated magna cum laude from Loyola University Chicago (Go Ramblers!) before continuing and completing her meteorological studies at Mississippi State University. She holds the prestigious Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM) seal awarded by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) and the National Weather Association (NWA) Broadcast Seal of Approval.
In 2018 Amy was named "Broadcaster of the Year" by the National Weather Association and she is a proud recipient of numerous "Best Weathercast" and "Best Weather Reporting" awards from the Florida Associated Press.
Amy's children's book, Let's Talk Weather, TV Forecasting: Behind the Scenes, was awarded a GOLD MEDAL in the Florida Authors & Publishers Association President's Book Awards in 2018. Let's Talk Weather was also chosen as the 2018 Book of the Year by Creative Child Magazine in the "Educational Books for Kids" category, and in 2019, the Next Generation Indie Book Awards named Let's Talk Weather a finalist in 3 separate categories: Children's non-fiction, Educational non-fiction, and Science/Nature/Environment.
With three children, Amy doesn't have much free time, but with the little bit she can find, she enjoys reading and going to the beach (or pool). A self-proclaimed introvert who talked for a living for years, Amy loves to create quiet space whenever possible, and just.... be.
Want to learn more about Amy?
- "Rain or Shine," an exclusive interview on The Moms Magazine
- "Hurricane Force Mom" in Lake Mary Life Magazine
- Let's Talk Weather Wins a Gold Medal - Orlando Sentinel
- Amy Sweezey Named 2018 Broadcaster of the Year - Orlando Sentinel
- No Sleep Til Sudbury Podcast: Amy Chats About The Music That Makes Her Skin Vibrate
- Amy Sweezey: Multi-Tasking Mom & Meteorologist in Orange Appeal Magazine, February 2019
- Renee Writes Now! Blog: Author Renee Garrison Interviews Amy Sweezey
- Storm Front Freaks Podcast, episode #94 featuring Amy. Click here to listen on Apple Podcasts. and Click here to listen on Android devices.
- Amy Sweezey Leaving WESH 2 News - Orlando Sentinel, March 13, 2020
- Amy Sweezey Staying at WESH a Few More Weeks - Orlando Sentinel April 2, 2020
- Amy Sweezey Winding Up Her WESH Run - Orlando Sentinel May 20, 2020